Sunday, April 5, 2009

Walking The Dog on A Parisian Windy Day


This is a piece that I just finished for the Fast Friday Fabric Challenge. My series is women.
Our challenge was to show planes, shadows using muted shades and yest use saturated colors. I think I met the challenge.
The inspiration for the buildings was from a painting by Edouard Toudoze. I played with the figure a lot before she found her spot in the composition. I did know pre sketching but just cut with scissors, pamela allan style.
I used oil pastels for the bricks, shading etc. They worked very well, I let them cure overnight and than heat set them. I am trying to define my style and I think for this one I would call it embroidered applique. A lot of embroidery stitches were used and no machine work.
I look forward to your comments.

15 comments:

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

I am so impressed with this piece! Well done!

pamelala said...

Oh Rhoda! I am just so pleased to see you moving into "yourself" at warp speed! This is such a charming vignette...very European feeling even if it isn't. Keep doing what you are doing. Hey and start entering national shows!

Pamelala

Sherryl said...

This is fabulous Rhoda. You are really finding your own style.

Carole said...

Rhoda, this piece is ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!!
It must be entered into shows.
It is incredible to see you find your 'voice' ... your style.
Keep up your good work.

Rhonda said...

Hi Rhoda, Rhonda here. Love your work!!!!

Jocelyn said...

What a great quilt! You placed the lady just right. Thanks for sharing

stitchinpenny said...

I think the picture shows all the things it was supposed to and the fact that you did it with cloth is truly a statement of your artistic ability.

Micki said...

I love all of your art quilts. Where do you get the patterns?
Lovely job!
Micki

Andi said...

A beautiful piece of art!!

Unknown said...

Amazing work! I love all the color and depth - beautiful! Thanks for sharing :)

Sarah said...

I went to the International Quilt Festival this past weekend outside of Chicago and I have such a new found respect and admiration of art quilts...amazing!

Janet Brady said...

What amazing perspective you achieved on a 2 dimensional surface. Love the Frenchie and I can almost feel the breeze!

Judy Hartman said...

Hi Rhoda,
This is my first time stopping by your blog and I have to say, I love your artwork!! Your style is very original and colorful! I'll be back to see more!

Janet Hartje said...

I love this. Your shadows are terrific. Fast Friday Challenge sounds like fun.

hetty said...

You definitely have a wonderful artistic style and have created an impressive piece. I really like it!