Friday, January 15, 2010

Snow Dye

We have lot's of snow so decided to try Beth's method for snow dyeing. Here is her tutorial:
http://quiltersstitchtogether.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-version-of-snow-dye-process.html
I can probably tell you what not to do after my first try, don't take it out of the snow bath too soon.  I was over anxious and took it out way too soon, that is why there is little color.
I'm pleased with my first results, they will make nice backgrounds for wallhangings. However I am really looking forward to the next batch.
I've got two more on the go and will leave them long enough to become saturated with color. And I used Dharma pigments...just using what I have on hand :)
Thanks for the inspiration Beth.
I think the first one looks like a jelly fish with a huge clam shell in the corner, and I can see some trees in the second one. What do you see? Let me know. Thanks for taking a look.
A friend  just drew my attention to the face on the left hand corner of the first piece!



10 comments:

Antonija said...

A couple of people showed their results from this process at our art quilters meeting last week--they also mentioned they wanted the colors more saturated. I, OTOH, like the lighter colors--but I guess that's just me. I think yours are really interesting and could yield a couple of cool pieces. Thanks for sharing.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

I don't mind the way they turned out at all. I think they have many possibilities. It's all in the fun of creating right?

norma said...

Really pretty! It looks like marble.

Wil Opio Oguta said...

Rhoda, it really helps if you nuke your fabric for a few minutes after the snow has melted. The colors become much more saturated as you can see on my blogposts.

Art by Rhoda Forbes said...

Thanks for the advice Wil, I will do that with the next batch. I understand why, the dye leaches out while it is drying normally!

Beth said...

These are lovely, Rhoda! And there is a face in that first one for sure! I love the imagery that shows up. The key for me to intense colors is using more soda ash in my presoak - I use up to 1/2 cup per gallon. Remember, we're adding a LOT of water to the mix with all that snow and that dilutes the soda ash. I have never microwaved my fabric, but some say that helps. Keep up the good work!

Laura Krasinski said...

Wow.. this is very cool... More dyes arrived via mail today.. hopefully tomorrow I can play..

Beth said...

Well, you may get two posts from me, not sure what happened to the other one. Feel free to delete one or the other. Rhoda, I love your pieces! I see a face in the first one, and a big fluffy puppy in the second. If you want more intense colors, try using more soda ash in the presoak - I use at least 1/2 cup per gallon - we're adding lots of water to the mix with the snow and that tends to dilute the concentration of soda ash. I have never microwaved my fabrics, but some say that helps. Keep up the good work!

Carole said...

Rhoda! this is awesome.... makes me wish I was at home.. well not really.. haha.
they say we have no snow any way..
but I am really liking these...

Vivian said...

I enjoyed looking at your blog. Snow dye is interesting! With a three day winter and a dusting of snow this year, I might have to wait a while to try that one!