Saturday, November 29, 2014

Grand Illusion Step @1

So happy to be working on another Bonnie mystery quilt. It is a great way to spend a cold winter day. It is -35 here today and that is not with the windchill, sunny and bright though.
I have finished clue #1, very colorful.
I am using purples for the black and white. And a more gold tone for the yellow. I have two colors of a muted coral for the pink.   Here are all 100 of the broken dishes unit done.  Four of them  put together make a  lovely star, but is that how they will be placed??? It is a mystery.   This is going to be a very bright quilt.








I am using my new (to me )  1951 Singer Slant O Matic  503 ( doesn't that sound so cool)  to put this mq together. My son went right through it, greased, oiled and tightened here and there, and it just hums along.    I love it. The fins remind me so much of the cars in that error, lot's of fins...and the jukeboxes. And lot's of jivin'.  I love this machine, just about as much as my Featherweight. 

Eagerly awaiting link up Monday, on Bonnie's Blog , so I can see the wonderful color combinations that my fellow bloggers are using for this mystery. Happy sewing. 








14 comments:

Heather said...

Very pretty and bright. Such fun to work on aBonnie mystery!

Vireya said...

Cute machine! I've never seen one of those in the flesh.

Isn't it great to be working on a mystery again? I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's colour selections. Your purples are pretty.

Quilter Kathy said...

Very pretty mystery blocks! And love your fancy machine!

Terry said...

Very nice Rhonda
I tweeked my colors also My black is Navy then white and my other four colors are Lime -green-purple-grey...We will see how it all plays out Always fun to do this mystery and I have talked a couple of my friends to play along this year
Sew much fun
As a fellow Canadian I
Will follow your journey Have fun

Judy Hansen said...

Love your "rocket" machine. very cool! Fun mystery blocks too.

~Deb Lindley said...

LOVE your fabric choices and really like your Singer 'Rocket', what FUN to be sewing on one of those for this mystery!

Barb in Mi said...

Great mystery color choice! And wow, what a rocket machine

Andee said...

Gonna be pretty with the purple!

Nann said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today! I like your GI colors--the purple and the bronze gold contrast nicely. Your new-to-you machine is a beauty.

Anonymous said...

So you exchange the black to purple and I exchange the yellow to purple! I'm so excited to see the next clue.
I love your machine, it's really cute!

Mary Ellen said...

I would love to find one of these machines. I have a Featherweight and a Singer 66. I guess I need to keep looking. Your Grand Illusion blocks are looking good. I still have 45 more broken dishes blocks to finish.

lourixe said...

I love your blocks and vintage sewing machine! What I enjoy the most from Bonnie Hunter's patterns is the high color contrast. The pallette you chose is also awesome. Thanks for having visited my blog.

traditional_quilter said...

Love your colors and your sewing machine! I enjoy collecting and using vintage machines. I checked out some of your other quilts on your blog and you have made some beautiful quilts!
Lisa

Feathers in my Nest said...

Oh, how fun! I'm sewing the Mystery with my Singer 503A Rocketeer too!!..pics on my Blog. Your units are very pretty....Debra in Ma.